Thursday, June 30, 2011

New Gear Alert: Osprey Ariel 65

So I did it...bought my own pack...after a lot of research and several trips to EMS and REI to get sized and try out a few options...I went for it and left with a pack I LOVE...I am saying that now prior to actually using it on the trail so the verdict is still out.  Few things I learned in the process:

1. Get sized by a professional- I know a decent amount about the product from being a gear geek, but I had no idea how the pack was "supposed" to fit.  I almost bought a pack online because of the awesome deal I could get on closeout models...but I am so glad I decided to shop around and get the proper fit.  I  assumed that being 5'11'' I would wear a size large pack, (especially since they have female specific packs)...seems logical...WRONG...we started with a medium and adjusted the length of the frame to its shortest setting and decided I actually was a SIZE SMALL....I couldn't believe it... I am not a small anything!  But it is all about proportions...an apparently I have really long legs and a really short torso!  Anyway, had I ordered online I would have walked away with a size large pack, that was all wrong and would have caused pain and discomfort on the trail...making for miserable hiking!

2. Try out all comparable styles- Once you land the proper size it can be slightly different with each brand and style, so make sure you try on all options.  Every brand feels different for different body types, like most anything we buy...I tried on several brands; Gregory, EMS, REI, Deuter...but settled on the Osprey...when I put it on it felt PERFECT...the shoulder straps landed in the right position, the hip belts proportion was right on, and it seemed to mold to my body...which I knew I wanted when finding a pack.  The pack may be the most important piece of equipment you purchase, (an argument could be made for your boots as well)...so you need to take the proper time and research when looking for the right one...It is a large investment with prices ranging from $150-$350, but it will last you FOREVER and will make a long, heavy hike much more enjoyable and pleasant...I am all for that!!! Don't make this an impulse purchase and you will get through the process with an AWESOME bag that journey's with you for years to come!

3. All about the features- So we talked comfort and fit, but the last thing I learned was to know and understand what features you need and want in a pack.  Do you like lots of pockets and straps, or do you want a few large compartments?  Do you need hydration storage, or straps for ice picks? How much storage do you need?  All these factors will impact your decision, both in terms of size and style of the bag, but also price as well.  I knew I wanted a pack that would work well for weekend trips, but would also work for an AT thru hike.  I knew I didn't want to be back spending another $200 in a few years when I needed more space.  I realized I like lots of pockets, and lots of straps so I can really compress my gear and make the pack more versatile.  This helped me rule out several packs that were just not "tricked" out enough for me.  The other factor is weight, I wanted a pack that was big enough to survive the AT but also light enough to hang out in the Whites for the weekend.  I have read everywhere that the lighter the pack the better...obviously...but this is something you really want to consider when making this investment...because it is not an investment you will want to make twice!

That is just the basics; but the biggest takeaway is to make sure you try them on and get help with the fit...it is okay to buy online and snag a great deal, but make sure you test out the size and style in store first before making the jump!  Below I inserted a picture of my new bag (I need to come up with a name for her) and some of the basic features.  We will be testing out my new purchase this weekend with an overnight in the Whites and I will write a great review of the pack in action...so stay tuned!!!




Osprey Ariel 65

AddOn Compatible
Convertible Top Pocket
InsideOut Compression
J-Panel Access
Red Internal Compression Strap
Sleeping Pad Straps
Tool Attachment
Women's Custom Fit
Suspension Technology
Torso Specific Sizing
Lightweight and Breathable
Kick Ass Salsa Color!!!!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment